Christiana Cole sings at the BMI Showcase on May 1
BMI favorite Christiana Cole will be one of the headlining performers at the BMI Showcase on Monday, May 1 at 4:30pm at the Marjorie S. Deane Little Theatre, 10 West 64th Street.
The BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop is widely regarded as the premiere training ground for emerging musical theatre composers, lyricists, and librettists. Since its inception of the workshop in 1961 a great number of works have been created by members and alumni, including: The Book of Mormon, Avenue Q, Ragtime, Nine, A Chorus Line, Grey Gardens, Next to Normal, and many more.
The Showcase is a special event that only happens when the steering committee, led by luminaries such as Maury Yeston and Alan Mencken, feel there is a large volume of great work in the workshop that deserves a wider audience.
Christiana Cole will be performing five roles in the Showcase —
- Betty Parker, a suppressed suburban housewife in the 1950’s who starts to experience the shocking world of color and passion, in “Beautiful” from Pleasantville by Janine McGuire and Arri Simon
- Debbie Jellinsky, a black widow murderess hungry for Uncle Fester’s fortune, in “He Was Perfect” from Addams Family Values by Jamie Cowperthwait and Ok Kyun Kang (check out video from a previous performance on the Watch and Listen page!)
- Pamela, a trailer trash mom with a heart of gold, in “You Gotta Go” from #MARS by Laura Kleinbaum and Willem Oosthuysen
- A very proper madrigal singer in the song “W.B.” by Tracy Sallows
- Cherry, a pragmatic but soft-hearted upper class woman in the year 1869, whose dreamer husband founds the Fire Island community of Cherry Grove (and names it after her!) in “A Little Patch of Summer” from A History of Summer, by Adam Mathias and Jonathan Monro.
The evening will not only be a showcase of the talent budding at BMI, but of Christiana’s versatile range as a singer-actor.
There will be a reception afterwards!
The showcase is FREE. Doors open at 4pm. Seating is first come, first served. The performance will begin at 4:30pm.